Some of you may remember the phrases I never want to hear once more, like "git 'er washed" and "I'm just sayin'." This time, I'm picking on Christians (since I am 1 and all).

I'yard just gonna say information technology–Christians say some stupid things. We remember we are being spiritual, Godly, helpful, wise, encouraging, but really we are sticking our large stinky feet in our big open mouth.

At that place are quite a few phrases within the Church building that irk me. I'm guessing you lot feel the aforementioned. Hither are the Height 10 Christians phrases I never desire to hear once more…starting with…

1. "Guard your eye." Aye, this phrase is scriptural and comes from Proverbs 4:23. I have commonly heard this snippet of scripture  used in reference to a dating relationship. One girl would pray for some other, something similar this: "Lord please help her 'guard her heart' in this relationship with this particular male child…" What they really want to pray and what they actually should pray is: "Lord, help her exist sexually pure and stay out of bed in this relationship with this detail boy…" Just pray what you mean.

2. "I'll pray for you." Okay, this one is tricky, because I don't want to judge. I want to believe that, when someone says they will pray for you, that will actually pray. I suspect, nevertheless, that all too often Christians throw this phrase out every bit a overnice-ism to either make someone feel better or considering they don't know what else to say.

Side annotation: I take this phrase very seriously and I want you to know that when I say that I volition pray for you on this blog, that I actually volition.

three.  "Quiet time." I'm going to exist honest–I despise this phrase. Information technology does not exist in the Bible (the concept does on some level, possibly), nevertheless nosotros throw this around like law. Did you have your "placidity fourth dimension?" Don't forget  your "tranquility time." It goes on and on. How well-nigh setting bated time to be placidity earlier the Lord, aye, simply also meeting with Him in the loud times, the crazy times, the exhausting times–basically throughout your 24-hour interval and throughout your life?

iv. "I don't feel led." This is another fourth dimension when y'all only need to say what y'all mean. Generally, it's non that we "don't feel led," merely rather, we merely don't want to. Instead of existence honest, nosotros arraign God, as if He was directing u.s.a. elsewhere.

5. "It was the Lord'southward will…" when something fails. Once more, this is non always the instance, but I have witnessed this phrase become a take hold of-all to excuse irresponsibility or sin. Peradventure a ministry building, or church building, or (worst of all) a matrimony failed because responsible parties allowed it to neglect. Perhaps it really wasn't "the Lord's will."

6. "Hedge of protection." I know this ane is scriptural. It comes from the Book of Chore, but wasn't it Satan who actually used this phrase? So why would we pray it? I have defenseless myself start to pray information technology, as well, and I end in my tracks. Again, pray what you mean.

seven. "Walk with the Lord." I don't dislike this phrase, then much as I retrieve information technology has become trite. More than that, nosotros say this in front of unbelievers constantly and they must exist thinking, "What the what?"

eight. "Invite Jesus into your heart." Once more, I don't despise this Christian-ism, however, I recall besides not existence entirely scriptural, it fails to communicate the fact that a life devoted unto Christ is the goal–total give up, nothing less.

9. "Sinner's prayer" or "Prayer of salvation." This phrase is not Biblical. God reaches us all differently. Writer Anne Lamott, knowing Jesus was calling her, just said out loud one day, "Ah, f*^k it." That was the moment of her conversion, making Christ Lord. Information technology ain't pretty, but it's reality.

10. "Jesus loves you." It is completely 100% true. He does beloved you…and me.  A bumper sticker isn't the way to communicate His beloved, however. Action is.

I know you take some to add and I tin can't wait to hear them! What Christian phrases do you promise to never hear over again? What Christian-isms really irk you?

mail service image here